Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Sleep

If you knew me before I had a baby, you know that I LOVE to sleep. I used to be able to take naps, sleep in and I enjoyed every minute of it! That all changed with some pregnancy insomnia, then, of course, when Levi was born. Levi has not been the best sleeper. He is still waking up once in the middle of the night to eat. I have gotten used to this and can honestly say that I love the time I have with him, even if it's at 1am. The past 2 weeks I have not been able to sleep well at all, and it has nothing to do with my precious almost 7 month old.

I am hyperthyroid.

I lost 4 pounds in a week. (Not complaining there!) But the worst symptom is that my heart is racing. Fast. The doctor saw my blood results and said it was like I had 10 cups of coffee in my system. It is so uncomfortable. It's not so bad during the day as long as I don't do anything too strenuous. But having said that, my heart was pounding after sorting laundry and transferring clothes from the washer to the dryer. The worst part comes when I lay down at night to sleep. I can REALLY feel my heart pounding then and it keeps me up. It takes me hours to fall asleep. I e-mailed my wonderful doctor and she told me I need to double to dose of my medicine. I am so thankful that there is medicine I can take to fix the problem and that it is safe for me to keep nursing. It was a possibility I would have to stop. I am also thankful that God has put people on my heart to pray for as I am awake in the night. I don't always have the best attitude about the months I have not slept more than a few hours at a time, but God is working on refining me and softening my heart. I might add He has given me so much more patience during the day after nights of hardly any sleep. I am grateful for that. I'm also grateful that my accelerated heart rate is a result of a thyroid problem and not a heart issue. I can't wait for the medicine to kick in which should take about a week.

2 comments:

  1. That is the worst! I don't know if you are interested, but some natural thyroid balancers are lots of dark leafy greens, a b-complex vitamin, kelp and maca root supplements. I was able to avoid taking PTU this pregnancy by adding those into my diet. My last results were normal and most of my symptoms are gone except occasionally having days where little activities leave me winded. Just have to really focus on breathing those days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you get some relief soon! That sounds very disconcerting and scary. I don't function well on little sleep, the baby stages were not easy for me. :D

    Thank you for your sweet comment over at Yoga Gal, I appreciate it so much.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete