Friday, July 10, 2009

Fairness

We've all heard that fairness is not defined as "Each person gets the same thing" but rather, "Each person receives what he or she needs." I understand the latter meaning of the word fairness and in fact, I find myself living out this concept with the students I teach. The thing about that definition of unfairness though, is that while it might be good or politically correct, it does not change the fact that unfairness stinks. Unfairness can even make us feel resentful after living with it for awhile. I am working on letting go of some resentment I have as a result of lots of unfairness at work. I may not be able to change whether or not things are fair, but I can change my reaction and attitude. So here goes... fairness, shmareness! Who needs it?! (Anyone sense the sarcasm?) No really, I am working on it...

No comments:

Post a Comment