Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Light and Momentary

I have been thinking a lot about 2 Corinthians 4:16-18...

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

In reading this verse I find myself feeling guilty for feeling so strongly about what is happening at work. These are, after all, light and momentary troubles, and therefore, I should live in light of that. I am not discounting my feelings (because what is happening is wrong) but in order to keep a proper, eternal perspective, I must remind myself of the bigger picture.

After all, there are people suffering more than I can possibly understand. There are people who have lost a loved one, who are being persecuted and oppressed, and there are children fighting for their lives as they battle cancer. (By the way please pray for Anika and see here story here, and pray for Kate and see her story here).

Amazingly, even the most intense suffering is also a "light and momentary" struggle in light of eternity. We are here for such a short time; this life is mere dust, a vapor. We are here one day and gone the next. It may feel like the here and now is the now and forever, but that is not the case. I am praying for the strength to live in light of eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment