Thursday, August 27, 2009

First Day of School

Today was the first day of school.

Today, 12 new students entered my class, my life, my heart.

Today, 12 sets of moms and dads cautiously yet eagerly chauffeured their children to their "home" for the next few years.

Today, we learned the rules and started putting them into practice.

Today, a few children already needed a "chit-chat" from the teacher.

Today, high-fives, stickers and hugs were given.

Today, I started my 4th year of teaching and feel like I finally know what I am doing.

Today, I smiled a lot, almost cried (but didn't!) once, and talked more in 6 hours than I did all summer.

Today, I cleaned up a bloody nose, covered scrapes with bandaids and told several kids, "You'll be alright."

Today, it was hotter than heck, everyone was sweaty and thirsty, and after recess they stumbled into our air conditioned room with red cheeks and no energy.

Today, they ate a popsicle and that seemed to help a bit.

Today was pretty good.

Today was the first day of school.

1 comment: